Taking care of your skin doesn’t have to be a complicated endeavor. In fact, even if you don’t have the time to pursue serious measures for skin care, you’ll find that going back to the basics may be just what your skin needs. With that said, here are some no-nonsense pointers that can help you achieve healthy, glowing skin.
Keep Your Stress in Check
When your stress levels get out of control, it will reflect on your skin. For one, it could make your dermis more sensitive, and thus more prone to skin problems. For another, you’re likely to get acne breakouts when your immune system weakens as a result of stress. So make sure that you set reasonable limits for yourself – don’t push yourself too hard, especially at work. You might be surprised at the results when you manage to maintain your cool.
Keep Yourself Protected from the Sun
Sun exposure is one of the leading causes of epidermal problems such as age spots and wrinkles; not to mention too much of it can drastically increase your risk of getting skin cancer. Hence, protection from the sun is one of the most important things you can do for your outer layer. Here are ways to go about it:
- The time between 10 in the morning and 4 in the afternoon is usually when the sun’s rays are at their harshest. So make sure you seek shade by then, or at any other time when you deem the sunlight has become too hot.
- Always have some sunscreen handy. Use brands that have a broad spectrum, with SPF levels at 15 at the very least. If you’re in the outdoors, make sure that your sunscreen is reapplied after every 2 hours. But if you’re perspiring or swimming, reapplication should be done more often.
- Keep your skin covered with protective clothing if the sun is too hot. Make it a standard to wear wide-brimmed hats, long pants, and long-sleeved shirts.
Give Your Skin the Gentle Treatment
While daily shaving and cleansing are done in the efforts to keep one’s outer covering looking good, overdoing it might only cause damage. The following are tips to treating it gently.
- Steer clear of strong soaps and opt for an anti-aging product instead. Detergents and strong soaps often completely strip oil off your skin, which can cause dryness and irritation.
- Rather than rubbing yourself dry after bathing or washing, pat or blot yourself dry instead. This way, you don’t remove all the moisture off of your dermis.
Kick the Smoking Habit
Smoking is one of the biggest contributors to rapid aging, as it can cause wrinkles and other forms of deterioration. In addition, smoking can cause your blood vessels to narrow down, especially on the outermost layers. This results in decreased blood flow to such areas, depriving the epidermis of nutrients and oxygen that are crucial to your largest organ’s health. Furthermore, smoking causes damage to elastin and collagen, which are the fibers responsible for giving elasticity and strength to your outer cover.
Eat Healthily, Exercise Regularly
Sticking to a healthy diet can work wonders on your complexion. After all, most of the nutrients that nourish your body inside out come from the food you eat. Indeed, eating a lot of vegetables, fruits, lean proteins, and whole grains can help make your skin look phenomenal. Adequate exercise can also help tighten your epidermis and make it look smoother. And when all these are coupled with the right supplements, such as quality anti-aging serum products, you can feel and look your best.